Monday, August 29, 2011

This Time

It is always interesting getting used to routines that you haven't had to deal with or worry about for a long time. I knew this would be the case when I found out I was pregnant.

We had gotten used to not having babies in the house. No diapers, no wipes, no formula, bottles, baby food, crib, swing, etc etc...

It has been fun for the most part getting used to it again. It's almost like having a baby for the first time, except without the "I'm a parent now" anxiety factor and getting used to life again with someone who you will take care of forever more.

There has been one major difference this time that the two times before I just didn't feel ready to deal with, so I didn't. This time I chose to nurse our baby. This may not seem like a big deal to many people, but for me it was huge. My family must know how huge this was for me without even saying anything, because I have had so much support from them, and it has been really helpful.

Jeffrey is the perfect baby when it comes to breastfeeding. He is also a big eater, and one thing that has helped me immensely has been drinking an herbal tea that has herbs in it that promote lactation. The one we buy is called Mother's Milk. When I drink it I make enough milk that he is satisfied. When I don't we have to supplement with formula.

I think the hardest thing for Shane has been trying to figure out how to help me the most. Before he would help take turns when the baby woke up. Now it's all me. :) So that has definitely been a change, but he is still awesome, and finds ways to help me so that I don't get completely maxxed out emotionally.

I am crossing my fingers that Jeffrey will continue to be the content baby that he is. He only cries when he is hungry, gets changed, or bathed. Other than that, he is mellow. and just loves being held.

1 comment:

Jess'n'John said...

Good job nursing him! :-) Glad that he is a good little nurser and sounds like he's very healthy. Looking good Melissa!