Monday, October 4, 2010

Conference

Well, the weekend went much better than I originally thought it would, and the problem was taken care of...I hope! No, really, it was resolved, so that was the biggest, hugest, weight taken off my shoulders.

I always try to make General Conference a personal experience. One where I want to learn what I personally need to know and hear. I always find it interesting when people try to tell me what the "theme" was. My personal opinion is that what may be a theme for one person, may not be the theme for another, depending on what you as an individual need.

I will never forget the institute class I had where our instructor was telling us about how amazing the Holy Ghost was, and how if we came to class with the desire, we would learn what we needed to know...and it may not be what his lesson was about.

He then gave an example of a time when he was giving a lesson and a girl in his class came up afterward and thanked him for giving a lesson on the word of wisdom because she was trying to decide if she should go to a party where she knew drinking and smoking would be going on, and how she almost didn't come to class today and had decided to go, but after coming was reminded of the things she really believed in.

He thanked her and almost thanked her for her comments when it occurred to him that his lesson was not on the word of wisdom at all! It was on something completely different. Then the Holy Ghost let him know that she heard what she needed to.

True story.

I'm sure there are many others. I feel spiritually recharged though, and that is always a good feeling. :)

1 comment:

Patty B. said...

So, so true! You're right; the Holy Ghost touches those who are listening with the knowledge THEY need to know.
The key is to be open enough to receive it! Always!