Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Crossing the Bridge

It seems that whenever one problem is taken care of, another arises...or rather, another problem that was probably there all along, is now in the forefront demanding all of my attention.

I guess this ongoing problem has demanded my attention a lot more than I would admit, but it takes a backburner occasionally when I grow weary of trying to learn how to deal with it, when I feel like I have been trying everything in my power to figure it out (and many prayers for answers...)

I have two children, one of which is so extremely intelligent, but...also energetic, impulsive, and frustrating. All children can be frustrating, but I find an argumentative child tends to be a little more so.

I feel like I am writing in riddles, and I guess I apologize for that, but basically I am just beating around the bush. I think my son has ADHD. I never thought I would admit that. Well, I guess what I really thought I would never admit, is that I am seriously considering having him diagnosed so he can be put on medication.

The hyperactivity, while frustrating, I can deal with. The arguing we have been working on. The emotional, anger, temper outbursts, crying, frustration that he feels, we have also tried to work on through counseling, family time, etc...and is doable, but the impulsiveness seems to be more than I can handle. I'm not talking about simple little, typical curiosity type impulsiveness. His impulsiveness seems to thrive on doing things over and over that he KNOWS are wrong without worrying about the consequences. In a 3-6 year old this is fine. In a 7 year old maybe, but by the time they are 9 you know they know better and should be able to resist.

I feel like I constantly ask him, why did you do this? what thought did you have that made you want to do this? and the answer, inevitably is "I don't know." He even gets frustrated with himself, and gets upset. "I don't know! I don't know why I behave this way! I don't know why I am doing this!"

I never thought I would even consider the medication route. I thought that people who did just didn't want to deal with their child's problems, that there are so many other things to try. Well there are...and we've tried them. It has humbled me, that's for sure.

So here we are...finally crossing that bridge...

3 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

My sister-in-law has a son that sounds like your son. She homeschools him as well. I'm sure it is so difficult to constantly deal with the emotional outbursts and the impulsive, irrational behavior. You've done a great job as his mother. You are such a strong woman, and I really admire you! I sincerely hope you can find peace and comfort during the process of trying to correct the problems. You deserve happiness!

Miss Heather said...

Have you written my mom about this? Danny has ADHD and she cut out red food coloring and certain sugar stuff out of his diet and it changed him without meds. Good luck!

Melissa said...

I appreciate your comment, and we have cut out red 40 and sugars, and it has helped, but not completely.