Right?
So, my job is still going well. I enjoy the people I work with...for the most part (I mean, come on, we are all human, and I wouldn't be honest if I said we got along fabulously 24/7).
This last week and a half I was reminded of why I have always admired those who become doctors.
Once again I am around doctors and surgeons all the time, and I am reminded of how hard they work, how they are on call ALL THE TIME, and how many sacrifices they must make to be doctors.
I was thinking of this last week as my brain wanted to whine and complain that I was on call ALL WEEKEND and MONDAY too! Wah wah! Friday I went to work at 6:30 AM and got home at 3 AM, and then Sunday I worked for 5 hours in the evening, and last night I got home at 12:30 AM.
I was thinking of the general surgeons at my hospital that each take a 7 day call shift. 7 days on 7 days off. That doesn't include the emergency patients that are their regular patients so they could end up doing an emergent surgery anyway even if they aren't on call.
It was kind of interesting though. The longer I was on call, and having to come in, the more my brain and body got used to it...although the 20 hour day pretty much killed me, I don't know if I could do that all the time. I was REALLY glad I had all of Saturday to recuperate, but today when I had to come in after getting 5 hours of sleep...I was all right (and not fuzzy headed I wish I wasn't here all right...) I was alert and in a good mood! Interesting...
2 comments:
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Yes there are a lot of doctors who are not that nice, but they do work long, hard hours. Thank you for being on our side and thank you for the work you did on call.
Man, I can't even imagine being "on call"... the doctors aren't the only amazing ones, you are too!! :)
Post a Comment