Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Low Census

Today I was on "Low Census" which means, no work! Well, technically I did still go into work for a little while because we had a work meeting and then an inservice where we learned more specifically about running certain pieces of equipment that we use in the OR (Operating Room).

So, while at the hospital today, the power went out. I mean...the power.went.out. Don't get me wrong, I grew up in a small country town, and the power would go out all the time...but where we live now? Not often, and when it does it's usually just a small power bump.

Today it was off for about an hour, which is unusual for us.

It was weird and eery to be in the hospital and have emergency lights on and to hear the generators kicking on. Of course the operating area has the most power because who wants to be having surgery and have the power go out...d'oh!

So, in that regard, today was an excellent day to have a power failure because we had ZERO surgeries scheduled and only a few outpatient procedures scheduled.

It was nice to spend some time with my husband and kids during the daylight hours. :) It was so cute when we went to pick up Hazel after Kindergarten. She was SO excited that I was home!

That is definitely one bonus that will happen when I start working four-tens. I will have a day off during the week. I think my whole family will enjoy that.

1 comment:

Patty B. said...

It WOULD be creepy to be in a hospital when the power goes out. (maybe I've seen too many scary movies!) But I guess if it's not uncommon, it's no big deal. I think it's great that you do what you do in the hospital!
And how fun for you to be home with your husband and kids! What a treat!