Well, I hope I am on the home stretch and continue to get better. I think that is the first 4th of July in my ENTIRE life where I was home by myself not doing anything at all.
Initially Shane was going to come and get me after he and the kids got back from camping, but after I looked up the "contagious" timeframe for the swine flu, we decided I'd better just stay put. I guess you can be contagious up to SEVEN days after you get sick. I had no idea. I can see how someone could feel mostly better and go back to work and get everyone at work sick and not even realize that they had.
I also stayed home from church. Shane told me the bishop asked him to tell me "THANK YOU" for staying home. I don't think I've ever had a bishop tell me that before. It made me smile, and it made sense, since they have cancelled church meetings in some stakes because of all the people getting sick.
Still, even though I would have much rather NOT gotten sick, it has taught me a lot, and made me grateful for things that I had been overlooking...the first one being, of course, HEALTH! Also, being able to do things. I never realized how much I wished I could keep things clean until I was too sick to do it. Too sick to do laundry, too sick to do the dishes (well, okay, that one wasn't too bad...;), too sick to do anything but lay in bed.
One of the greatest things I learned, however, was how to appreciate the ability to do service, and why we should do service...what I mean by that, is I had been really struggling. You all know that, you've read my blog...:) I read something while I was alone and sick, that really hit me... basically it said, are you serving a calling in church out of duty, or because you want to serve the Lord? I thought about that. Why had I accepted the calling? Was it out of duty or a willingness to serve? If it is a willingness to serve, then how can I question the rightness of HOW and WHERE I am asked to serve?
Granted, the calling may still be difficult. I may still feel inadequate and it may be frustrating, but I can have the peace of mind of knowing that I am serving where I am called because that is where the Lord wants me to be.
1 comment:
Very considerate to stay home. I don't like to stay home with my kids when they are sick, but I definitely don't want to share the illness with my neighbors, new babies, or brothers/sisters that will share it with everyone. I appreciate it when others are considerate. I hope you feel better soon.
Post a Comment