So, today was the second official day of homeschooling Harrison. Yesterday was awesome. It just went so smooth and wonderful. I just was amazed and kept thinking that was just great, and why was I so scared to start homeschooling before?
Today, was not so great. First he didn't want to wake up. Then he didn't want to get dressed, didn't want to eat breakfast, didn't want to do math, didn't want to write, etc... etc..
It didn't help that Hazel was ornery before she went to preschool, I was so tired, and I was trying SO HARD to keep my patience it wasn't even funny. The whole time I'm just sitting there praying a constant prayer... yes, I know, I have faith, I can surely do this...
So, finally I called my sister-in-law, talked to her a little, went on a mini-field trip to her house, and then came back home. She had some really good advice, and as the day has progressed I have realized a few things...call it inspiration, or just knowledge finally entering my brain...
I realized that first off, Harrison was probably "testing the waters." As in..."what exactly will mom let me get away with?" And, I also realized that while having almost the same schedule would be great for me because I like schedules and order, etc... it probably wasn't that way for Harrison. It wouldn't be a bad thing if he had the same subjects in a different order every day instead of the exact same order...boom, boom, boom.
So, taking a few ideas from my s-i-l's I decided that we needed to make a poster for Harrison that has all the subjects that he has to do EVERY day, like reading, math, spelling, etc... and let him decide which one he feels like doing right then. When he gets done with a certain subject/task he gets to move a card to that spot telling me that he is done and can move on to a new subject. Then the alternating subjects like history, keyboarding, science, etc...I would do during the last part of school each day.
So, we will see how it goes! What an adventure!
2 comments:
Melissa, I wish you lots of luck...It is definately a sacrafice to Home School (all your time, patience, organization, etc..) I am sure that you will do a great job, especially with your good attitude. He's lucky to have you as a mom!
You are awsome! I know you will do fantastic with homeschooling. Just keep positive, keep going, don't give up, and remember that this really will pay off. What an amazing woman!!! -tiff-
Post a Comment