So, last year for Christmas my parents gave all the adults in our family season tickets to the Hale Center Theatre in SLC. This is an amazing theatre that produces plays via "in the round" style. In the round means that the stage is in the middle of the theatre instead of at the end of the theatre so when you are in a play, everyone can see you at all times. I think it's neat because it makes a play more...uh, three-dimensional?? The stage at the Hale Center Theatre is amazing too. Anyway, if you ever have the chance to go, go! You will not be disappointed.
So, last night was the last play on our season ticket. The theatre does a Christmas play every year that they don't include on the season ticket because it is so popular.
The play that was shown was "Into the Woods." So....the last time I saw this play was about 10-11 years ago. And, I think that when I saw it, they only did the first act and then skipped the second. This cut off about an hour and a half of the play.
I thought the scenery and stage design were amazing and wonderful. The actors all did a superb job. The play itself was...bizarre. Don't get me wrong, I liked the kookiness of it. I thought there were funny bits.
The first half of the play was great and if I had left before intermission, I would have felt like I had just seen a kooky funny play that included fairy tales. The second half of the play was weird...and after three hours, I was ready for it to be over. I still liked it better than the musical Civil War.
So, for the 2008 season, I would definitely say that the play that wins my vote for the most awesome show of the year would have to be...
"The Curious Savage"
This show is heartwarming, funny, and just a good show. I like it every time I see it.
2 comments:
I too LOVE The Curious Savage! But I'm surprised you didn't just LOVE Into the Woods... it's one of my most favorite plays! I was in it at Utah State (I played Red) back in the day and it was such a delightful experience. I can't believe I missed seeing it at Hale (although I've seen it four other places). I love Hale!! I'm jealous you had season tickets. David Weekes is Scrooge this year and I want to go to A Christmas Carol SO BAD!
I know, I'm weird. I just couldn't get over how macabre the second act was. I mean...half the cast dies, and then you have the two knights that are just like, oh well... although I did like how someone described it as being the "not happily ever after" endings and how things don't always go the way we expect them to.
Post a Comment