Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dried flowers

A few weeks ago, for one of our Young Women activities we went and picked flowers to dry for cards/pictures/etc...

This week we made the background that you put them on. I thought it was a lot of fun, and really neat, but probably a little too "serious" for my Beehives and some of the Miamaids. Of course, it didn't help that we were also doing things in preparation for camp, and so they were all excited about that.

Well, I was excited about this! I made five or six backgrounds. I am planning on making them into pictures with cute quotes and sayings on them. I think it will be great when I am done.

Anyway, here are my three favorites of the ones that I did.





So, how we made them is:

First we picked the flowers and then smashed them in phone books. Another leader had an actual flower press that would be soooo easy to make...I just may have to make one. Anyway, after we had them in the phone books the leader in charge of the activity took them home and put bricks and other heavy things on top of them to make them smash smaller.

Then once they had a few weeks to dry, we took the flowers out. Using pieces of wax paper, we positioned the flowers in designs for cards, pictures, etc...and then placed a single ply layer of kleenex over the top...(hmm, I wonder if I could use tissue paper...creative gears cranking...)

Then, using a mixture of elmer's glue and water 50/50 ratio, we used small foam rollers and rolled the glue onto the tissue. This was probably the trickiest part for me.

After that, you let them dry. You can use a hair dryer on low heat, low speed, to hurry this process along if you want.

Once it is completely dry, you rip it to the shape of your card, or you could cut it I suppose and glue it to a piece of cardstock. It basically ends up being like a piece of vellum.

Anyway, I thought it was fun, and neat too.

No comments: